Thursday, May 01, 2008

Rest and relaxation

As of 5pm yesterday I am officially off work until June 3 (more on that later). I started with a bang by going straight to a 'learn to sew' class at Workshop Boutique- a fabulous store in the ByWard Market (and home to some lovely necklaces that I would love to own by my new favourite designer Marmalade ;)

We made a tote bag and I think it turned out pretty well! It's lined and everything. And embellished... although that may be where it started to fall apart.

This was totally down my alley in terms of sewing - she gave us a general template, which we could follow or change if we wanted it bigger or smaller or the straps longer or shorter.


It began to fall apart when I had to be creative and embellish the bag though - I didn't listen to the instructions for making the fabric sticky and ended up cutting my bird's nose off (which I was lucky to get because it happens to be a scrap of the owner's silkscreening which is what she sells for lots of money) and then tried to figure out a way to attach the beak back on. I think it turned out ok (you'll really see the error if you click on the photo below to get to full size) but really, you should see my friend Jen's bag - much more cleverly embellished.

And for a good time, go here (not spam ;)

8 comments:

JennyB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That is a really beautiful bag! I love the way you positioned the bird.

Unknown said...

That turned out really well.The bird is a very nice touch. You only notice the flaw because you made it. No one will ever know.

Anonymous said...

Lara, I LOVE your bag. Gorgeous. And the fact that the beak is sort of askew is cool, it proves that it is handmade.
I was all upset that Marmalade is your new favorite designer, until I clicked the link and saw the REALLY AWESOME stuff she designs. Forget it, she's my favorite jewellery designer too. ;)

erin

web: www.jewellerybyerin.com
etsy ©: jewellerybyerin.etsy.com
blog: jewellerybyerin.blogspot.com

JennyB said...

aw, shucks! thanks Lara. but you're bag is super duper. And you're are super speedy! I can't wait for our next class!

AmyE said...

Wow- great job!! Now you can make all your friends tote bags!
Hello presents!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Not bad for your first attempt at all. I don't know how to sew at all and am too afraid to even try.

Deb said...

What a wonderful bag - you did a great job on it! :)