Thursday, March 12, 2009

Using the fear

We got a roomba for Christmas and although it requires forethought to get the rooms ready to send the robot out and there are times it gets tangled up in things we forget to pick up (read hiding balls of yarn under the couch) overall we love how much easier it is to keep the house swept/vacuumed.

But Kiernan, being a bit of a 'fraidy-cat, is scared of the robot. He doesn't like the idea of it coming anywhere near him and if it's on when he's in the house he comes running for our laps for security.

Kiernan has also decided that getting ready for daycare in the morning is not something he feels inclined to do. We argue and bargain until he's finally ready to go. Some mornings, I play the roomba card to get him going.

Me: Kiernan, time to put your snowsuit on for daycare
K: No, I don't want to go. I want to watch Wiggles.
Me: No, it's time to go, the tv is going off.
K: No, I don't want to go. *cry cry*
Me: But Kiernan, the robot is coming out to clean in a few minutes so we have to hurry up and get ready.
K: Oh! Let's get out of here mommy! Let's get out of here!!!
Me: Well, if you insist.

:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO

You are the world's most devious parent.

I love it.

However, I hate the roomba. It's the first step to a robot vs. human war. It's the Cylon equivalent of an ameoba. Mark my words!!!

Marci Simonini said...

Hay I say whatever works, sometimes I bribe them with food, why not use a little fear!?

Roz said...

BAHAHA

Golden! i love it!

Some kind of Mom said...

You gotta do what you gotta do!

Jen E. gave me a good suggestion, she uses the 'who wants to be first' or 'lets race' trick. That seems to work for Joel from time to time. When all else fails, you can always use M&Ms. :)