Tuesday, March 04, 2008

idling cars

I read this blog post the other day about people leaving their cars to idle while they drop off their kids at daycare, and I swear my reaction was "no, people don't do that!"

I think one of the reasons I've never thought to do that, if not for the environment is that even though I don't think someone will break into my car if I leave it unlocked in my driveway, I have an irrational fear that they'll drive away with the car if I leave it running ;)

Either way, I really didn't think people would do this - you go inside somewhere, you turn off the car! And then this morning, as I was dropping off Kiernan at daycare, I noticed the car that pulled in right before me was running while she was inside with the kids. I was SHOCKED! I don't get it, I really don't.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, the same reaction you to the recycling incident "What??! they're not recyclinc pop cans & bottles? People still throw that stuff out?!?" Love it!

Anonymous said...

I've been guilty of this myself. In fact, I'd say that 70% of the parents at our daycare do it. Small town mentality, I suppose.

Unknown said...

The first question is, does it happen more in winter than summer? I'm guessing it does.

Lara said...

I can see doing it when you're in the car and freezing. But really, when you're not in the car?

I pre-heat the car a bit sometimes, but that's because it's bad for a car to start driving when it's super frozen. But I've done that about twice this year - and once was because there was a LOT of ice covering the car to be scraped off!

Deb said...

I'm one of the only people at our daycare who doesn't leave the car running - sometimes with their kids running out and climbing in with it running even. I just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

At the in-home daycare down the street from me, I'd say MAYBE 25% of parents actually turn off their cars when they go in. It's not that uncommon. - lynn

Lara said...

Ok people, time to start turning off your cars then!!

Cheri22 said...

I dont leave my car idling either. I think for me its not just about the enviroment, but its the fact that i too get worried someone will drive off with my car! I am for that simple fact, and "compuslive" locker! lol. Even if I am going in for two seconds to drop off my daughter to daycare, my doors are locked!