Saturday, July 07, 2007

Dietitian update

So I went and had an appointment with the dietitian at CHEO yesterday. It was fine, but as usual, whenever I have K weighed, I come out feeling a bit sadder. He weighs 17 lbs 6 oz now, and, according to this person's guess on the percentile chart, is now down to 5th percentile for height and weight. So we're continuing to lose ground. And again, it makes me sad.
I got a lot of people trying to make me feel better after my last post about K's weight getting me down, trying to remind me that it's not a bad thing for him to be small. So let me just say again, I have zero problems with him being small, none. What worries me, what gets me down, is that he is losing ground on the percentile charts, and that's not good.
Now, the dietitian seemed more concerned than any of the doctors have, and I'm going to try to remember that the doctors should have a bit more credibility to me than her (not that she wasn't helpful).
Anyhow, here is what we came out with: he needs to have at least 800 calories a day. We don't know how much he's getting from my breast milk which makes that hard. In order to get his calories up without increasing the amount of food he eats, since I'm not sure we could convince him to eat that much more, we're going to be adding olive oil and margarine to his food (we're going to focus on olive oil before we resort to margarine).
The pediatrician told me that I could give K rice milk for sending him to daycare as long as I made sure he had a well balanced diet and we gave him extra vitamins, but the dietitian didn't think that was a good idea. So we're going to be trying to figure out how to convince him to drink the stuff, again. Fun :P
The good news is that everyone who sees him thinks he looks nice and round and healthy. He has nice chunky thighs and a belly, he's proportionate, and people seem surprised when they weigh him and find out he's continuing to lose ground.

No comments: