Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's time for some new blogs

I have a ton of blogs in my bloglines, and I read them all quite diligently. But I'm not getting any more readers and I'm not REALLY feeling like I'm becoming a part of this close-knit blog community so many people write about.

The other day there was a really good blog post at 5 minutes for mom about blogging called 'be a blogger not a writer' and it really got me thinking. I've read over and over again that to get readers you have to comment on other blogs. Then those people will come to your blog and check it out and hopefully, come back again. That has worked a couple of times and I do think some of my favourite bloggers (Simply Nutmeg and the Pinks and Blues girls to name a couple) do come by now and then. But the majority of the blogs I read, I almost never comment on.

And this article made me realize that maybe the problem is that I'm not reading the right blogs!

There are a few I don't comment on because they're just entertainment for me, I can't really think of anything I need to say to them and that's ok (like I am Bossy or Confessions of a pioneer woman)

But what I need are more blogs written by people that I can relate to. That are talking about things that make me want to comment on. Right? That's what this is all about right? I'm not trying to write posts that all seem like they belong in a magazine (although there are some great bloggers that I read who do seem to write like that - M101 for example)

I'm a blogger who doesn't re-read her posts. This is stream of consciousness blogging - me just talking about my life and the things going on it.

So, if anyone if anyone out there has suggestions for blogs they think I would like (including your own) let me know. Whatever suggestions are made I will add to my bloglines and I will read your blog and hopefully, I'll be inspired to talk out a bit more.

And if any of you readers are in Ottawa and there is some kind of Ottawa bloggers group - I want to know about it - because I'd love to get more involved in an Ottawa blogging community.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody ever comments on my blog, I think it's the main reason why I don't bother posting things as much as I used to.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara - thanks for stopping in at Casual Keystrokes this morning for Casual Friday. It sounds to me like you need to visit and network with other Moms who are working from home like yourself (and me). All of the bloggers who have been at Casual Friday are wonderful bloggers with lots to say and lots to teach. Stop in and visit any of them - you won't be disappointed.

Speaking of contests - did you enter mine? I have at least two more coming up this month so be sure to stop back in.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you like me! I want to give you my take on this very important post. You have to ask yourself, are you blogging for bloggers or are you blogging for readers? Many bloggers measure their success by their number of comments. I think this is a mistake. Measure your success by your stats - number of unique hits. The statistics say that only one percent of blog readers who are not also bloggers comment. Most of my readership is made up of non bloggers. Don't just promote your blog amidst bloggers or you'll plateau at about 100 to 200 daily uniques. Promote your site locally, by word of mouth, in the local newspaper, in parenting magazines, and on parenting sites. Write for some on-line parenting sites that will give you a link. I only read blogs I enjoy and I comment on the sites of the bloggers who are kind enough to comment on mine, but I don't seek new blogs. I get anywhere from 5 to 25 comments a day but I have about 1500 daily readers. I disagree: don't be a blogger, be a writer!

Anonymous said...

Not to write a book, but I just went and read the article and he makes very valid points. I do consider myself part of a blogging community and I enjoy it and have made real friends, mostly through commenting. I just refuse to make it a miserable chore: must comment on twenty blogs today; must think of something to say about this really bad post! I think it becomes an unhealthy obsession. Lara at Life: the ongoing education said it well recently - when it becomes a chore, something has to change! Sorry for the thesis!

nutmeg said...

I know I'm a freak - but I wanted to give you this link: http://rosedesrochers.todays-woman.net/2007/09/05/essential-tools-for-blogger-blogs/#more-1859

Julie said...

I can so relate to your post. I'm not a very good blogger and I envy those that keep fantastic blogs with witty writing, cool pics and content worth reading. But I do try and I will keep on tryin' til I get some readers that actually will read what I write!

Bea said...

Postcards from the Mothership is a great Ottawa blog, and Dani has links to other Ottawa bloggers (A Peek in the Fishbowl is another good one that comes to mind).

Whirlwind said...

Hum, I'm in the same boat as you. coincidentally, I found your blog of the Environmental Shopping Bag site (envirosax).

Catherine said...

Hello. I just found your blog and started from the beginning. You are welcome to read mine since my daughter is about 6months younger than your son. You should also check out http://littlebluedoor.blogspot.com since she is in Ottawa.
Enjoy!
Catherine