Friday, April 13, 2007

Taking a day off

On Wednesday, I took the day off. And it was fabulous.

I remember when I was about 6 months pregnant I went to a friend's birthday dinner and another friend of mine, who had a 9 month old at the time, was telling me about the joys, and tribulations, of motherhood. She must have told me 5 times over the course of dinner that I needed to make sure to take time for myself sometimes, to go to the spa, to find someone to watch the baby and just get away. I remember thinking "you don't know me, I'm going to love being with my baby, I'm not going to need to "get away" from him!"

Well, as hard as I tried not to be the person who was all high and mighty and was going to be better at things than other people, and tried not to say "I will never.." I really didn't think I was going to need days off. But I do. I really really do.

It's interesting because things have gotten particularly difficult in the last month or so. I've decided to blame the fact that my period came back when Kiernan turned 6 months old and so my hormones are all out of whack and that's what's been going on. But I think it's probably actually a combination of that, the fact that I'm discouraged by the dietary restrictions and the errors (and consequences of them) that keep happening, and the fact that I've been home for 8 months now. I feel like some days I just don't want to do it anymore. And I feel guity. Very very guilty. Why do I want to get away from my child? I'm a horrible mother!!!

But then I decided I needed the day off anyways. That it would be better for us all if I did that on occasion and tried to recharge my battery. So, on Wednesday, my husband dropped K off with my fabulous mother-in-law and he got to spend the day with Grammie. And I, Lara, not Mommy, lounged around in my PJs all morning and got some stuff done, then I took a shower and went for a massage! Then, I went down the ByWard Market for lunch with the girls (yummy thai, and only had one close call with soy) and then we walked around and shopped. It was great!

My friend was right, and I was wrong. I sort of hate that, but it does me good to be wrong sometimes I suppose ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does you good to realize that you were wrong and correct yourself.
And I am glad you had a baby-free day. It was fun to hang out with Lara, my best friend, instead of Lara, K's mom.